Ottawa, ON, June 17, 2013 – According to statistics released today by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), national home sales improved in May 2013, building on gains recorded in the previous two months.
• National home sales rose 3.6% from April to May.
• Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity came in 2.6% below levels in May 2012.
• The number of newly listed homes was up 1.9% from April to May.
• The Canadian housing market remains firmly in balanced territory.
• The national average sale price rose 3.7% on a year-over-year basis in May.
• The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) rose 2.3% year-over-year in May.
The number of home sales processed through the MLS® Systems of real estate Boards and Associations and other cooperative listing systems in Canada rose 3.6 per cent on a month-over-month basis in May 2013, its largest monthly gain in almost two and a half years.